Kelly takes on an intense fitness program at home with p90x.
Christina goes hard core at the gym with her personal trainer.
We're gunna BRING IT then and we're gunna BLOG IT.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Week 3, Day 1 - Supplements and Other Ways to Eat Healthy Stuff

Week 3 begins with a hearty dose of Core Synergistification. Yay! I still struggle with those running chaturangas, but I can get through 95% of the workout quite comfortably. I feel great. To quote Ted Nugent, I'm doing so good it's stupid.

I've already praised the benefits of whey protein - improved muscle growth, faster recovery, tastiness, etc. However, I've made some other additions to my diet. Although I generally eat quite healthy (well, excluding my addiction to all things cookie), I know I'm not getting everything I need, especially with my current activity level.

1. Women's One-a-Day
My lady doctor has been telling me for years that I need a basic supplement. Women's One-a-Day seems to be a great start. It has all the regular stuff found in a daily supplement, plus some extra goodies for our fragile feminine constitutions. Admittedly, I'm a little skeptical that Folic Acid, Magnesium, Zinc and Calcium "provide nutritional support during PMS and menopause", but whatever.
One thing I don't like about Women's One-a-Day is that you absolutely must eat it with food. Don't take this horse pill on an empty stomach, or you'll be nauseous. Heads up.

2. Fish Oil Supplement
Maybe you've heard the buzz about Omega-3 fatty acids, found in cold-water fish. Well, they're super good for you. Their cardiovascular and immune benefits are well documented. Also, they appear to reduce inflammation, a boon for my bad skin. And hey, wikipedia says that Omega-3 fatty acids may help reduce the progression of psychotic disorders in young children. There ya go.
There are lots of brands. I sought one with 400-600 mg EPA and 300-400 mg DHA (EPA and DHA are types of Omega-3 fatty acids). I found mine at Kroger. In any case, if you have a healthy heart, a minimum of 500 mg DHA+EPA is recommended. And make sure it has been distilled to remove mercury and other nasties.

3. Dietary Additions
I'm not a pill addict. I want to get most of my nutritional needs from my diet. I'm getting enough calcium and protein, but I want more more vitamins and antioxidants. The foods listed below are loaded. It's my goal to eat each of these things at least once a week, which I think is reasonable.
a. Spinach - Packed with vitamins A, C, and K, folate, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron, and lutein. Popeye wasn't kidding.
b. Sweet Potatoes - One large sweet potato contains six times your daily need of Vitamin A, which helps promote epithelial cell health and turnover (healthy epithelial cells = healthy skin). Also has lots of vitamin C and potassium.
c. Plain yogurt - unlike its sweetened and flavored counterparts, plain yogurt has all-around higher levels of, well, pretty much everything. I therefore use plain yogurt in my protein shakes. I'm starting to like the tart flavor.
d. Tomatoes - I have fair skin, and therefore have to watch out for the damaging effects of the sun. Tomatoes are the single greatest source of lycopene, an antioxidant which may help to protect against UV damage. Lycopene is highest in cooked tomatoes, so I'm trying to incorporate more tomatoes into my cooking instead of just sliced over salad.
e. Blueberries - the most antioxidant-rich fruit in North America. Period.
f. Carrots - I already eat a bowl of yummy, crunchy, baby carrots every other day or so. One large carrot contains twice your daily need of Vitamin A.
g. Green Tea - I have a long summer of early mornings ahead of me. Some caffeine will be welcome, if not necessary. The antioxidants catechins are also linked to improved heart health and reduced cancer risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment