Kelly takes on an intense fitness program at home with p90x.
Christina goes hard core at the gym with her personal trainer.
We're gunna BRING IT then and we're gunna BLOG IT.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Week 1, Day 1 - Core Synergistics and other Made-Up Words

Before I actually talk about today's workout, I want to give props to Tony Horton on the use of "Synergistics". We all know the word "Synergy". It's one of those corporate buzzwords that you hear thrown around at conferences and meetings. The kind of word that comes up in conversations about optimization of holistic e-markets, front-end envisioneering, and other made-up business lingo. But Tony, oh, he takes it to the next level. "Synergistics". I mean, wow, that's a delightful concoction of linguistic fabrication. Yes, I did look it up in the dictionary. No, there is no such thing as the plural noun, "Synergistics". You know what, Tony? I raise you. I'm going to call it "Synergistification" from now on, or for as long as I can stand typing it out.

Anyway, I did my first p90x workout this morning, "Core Synergistification". It was a one-hour combined light cardio and moderate toning session, with emphasis on the back and abs (totally my kind of workout). I really enjoyed it.
The thing I was most surprised by was how much I was able to do. Mind you, I stuck to 5 lb weights, and tried to move slowly and fluidly through the exercises. I had to stop and watch the screen sometimes. I wanted to do it correctly, get a feel for the flow of this program, and pace myself. I did sweat a bunch and was out of breath at some points, but in general found it very do-able.
I've always been one of those who was awe-struck by p90x, afraid of its rabid following and rumored intensity. Don't get me wrong: it was hard, and there were some exercises that I couldn't do. However, at the end of an hour, I felt great, invigorated, and totally excited about going again tomorrow.
I particularly enjoyed the lunge-kickback-curl-press exercise, and also the mat leaping/running thing. Oh heck, there were a dozen exercises that rocked my face off.
And yet, there were a handful that I really struggled with. I flat-out couldn't do the running plank and chaturangas. Oops, excuse me, "I presently struggle with" the running plank and chaturangas. For that one, I just stayed in the running plank. I also ran out of push-ups about mid-workout, so I had to slow it down or hold a plank whenever we did an exercise with push-ups. Those were the only ones that gave me serious "my-body-can't-do-this" trouble, and I still gave it my best. I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I couldn't do everything, and I know what I really need to work on, but I guess I thought it was going to be this demoralizing, impossible thing. Also, Pam "Blam" is my hero.

But I'm not going to get cocky. I still have 5 more sessions to do this week. I am particularly dreading Kenpo X, which I envision being a nuclear meltdown of kickboxing. It's every thing I'm bad at - upper body strength, quickness, and choreography. But that's not until Saturday, so I'll worry about it later. Today, I'm a winner!

1 comment:

  1. Great job Kelly, I'm going to try to use Synergistification in my meeting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete