Kelly takes on an intense fitness program at home with p90x.
Christina goes hard core at the gym with her personal trainer.
We're gunna BRING IT then and we're gunna BLOG IT.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Week 2 Complete!

Yay! I finished week 2! And I even fit in all my Ab Ripper X sessions, plus an extra Ab ribber (albeit an inebriated one) to make up for the one I missed last week. To explain, I threw a keg party on Friday night, and a fellow p90x-er challenged me to an Ab Ripper X competition. I brought it. It was simultaneously one of my finest and coarsest moments.










Today was Kenpo X day! I'm really starting to get the hang of the Kenpo - I didn't have trouble with my coordination this time, whereas I got discombobulated with my punches last week. My back-kicks were also much improved, although still a little shaky with the left foot. It's funny how the workout that I thought I'd hate is actually one of my favorites, and the workout that I thought I'd love is absolutely awful. And so it is: Kenpo X is really fun, and Yoga X is sheer torture.

I also bought a set of 10 lb weights today, because I've outgrown my 8 pounders for bicep curls and rows. Yay! I'm really excited about my progress. I've seen some improvement in my strength, and a lot of improvement in my balance and coordination. I didn't expect to see that in just 2 weeks, so I can't wait to see where I end up in 90 days!

My appetite has also picked up. Kelly want food! The protein shakes do a great job of preventing the post-workout refrigerator attack, and I've stocked my fridge with lots of fruit and soy milk for snacks throughout the day. This morning I got up and made a hefty Sunday brunch for Donovan and me. I had some leftover salsa from the Kegger on Friday night, so I foraged in the fridge and voila! Huevos Rancheros on biscuits with fresh fruit on the side. I want to share my salsa recipe, because it's great:

SALSA CRUDA - I doubled this recipe for a crowd. Otherwise it makes about 3 C.
- 1 1/2 lb firm, ripe tomatoes (I use the on-the-vine variety, never Roma)
- 1 large jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed (seeds minced and reserved for extra kick), chile minced
- 1/2 C minced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 C minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2-6 tsp fresh lime juice (1-2 limes)
- pinch sugar

1. Remove the stems and stem cores from the tomatoes. Cut into quarters. In batches, pulse in a food processor to about 3/8" dice. If you don't have a processor, chop it by hand.
2. Place a colander over a large bowl. Let tomatoes drain for 30 minutes.
3. While tomatoes drain, chop and layer the jalapeno, onion, garlic, and cilantro on top. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Return 1/4 C of drained juice to mixture, and discard the rest.
4. Add the salt, pepper, and 2 tsp lime juice.
5. Season with the minced jalapeno seeds, sugar, and additional lime juice to taste.

HUEVOS RANCHEROS - I made this recipe this morning without beans and with biscuits instead of of tortillas. Still great!
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 Tb vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tb unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 can refried beans (but I'd want black beans)
- 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 C Salsa Cruda, or some inferior store-bought stuff in a jar
- 2 scallions, sliced thin

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly brush tortillas with vegetable oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread tortillas on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly golden on both sides, about 10 min, turning halfway through. Remove and turn off oven.
2. Meanwhile, preheat a 10" skillet over the lowest heat setting for 5 min. Melt and coat pan with butter. Crack 4 eggs in a bowl, and then gently pour into pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook to desired doneness, 2-4 min, over medium-low heat.
3. Spread beans over the top of each crisped tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Return to still-warm oven to heat beans and melt cheese.
4. Remove hot tortillas to plates. Top each with a fried egg. Garnish with salsa and scallions.

1 comment: