Kelly takes on an intense fitness program at home with p90x.
Christina goes hard core at the gym with her personal trainer.
We're gunna BRING IT then and we're gunna BLOG IT.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Week 1, Day 3 - Backpacks as Torture Devices

It's 2-a-Day-Wednesday! p90x in the morning, and teaching spin class at night!

This morning I completed the Shoulders & Arms section, followed by the Ab Ripper X section. Whew! My shoulders have been thoroughly worked. One of the things I like about p90x is that you constantly switch between muscle groups, so you don't realize how many times you've hit them. For example, Tony and I kept rotating through a set targeting deltoids, then biceps, and then triceps, over and over again. We'd do 2 sets each, then move on to 3 different exercises. We used weights, a chair, a mat, or just gravity, constantly mixing it up and keeping it fresh. I didn't even realize how much work I'd done until I put on my backpack - ouch! But the good kind of ouch. Lol, a very satisfying ouch.

Do enjoy this diagram, with this very muscular woman (I think it's a woman) striking a jaunty pose. She looks very pleased with herself, yes? Today's workout targeted the biceps, triceps, and deltoids, but also hit the trapezius (traps) and latissimus dorsi (Lats).

I stuck to low weights today, just to keep correct form and watch what to do. And I honestly don't know my limits and didn't want to be crippled tomorrow, so I erred on the side of caution. The rest of this dull paragraph is for my record. In general, I used 5 lb weights for shoulder exercises (shoulder flies, alternating shoulder press, swimmer's press) and tricep exercises (kickbacks). However, for any row exercises, I used 8 lb. I also used 8 lb for all bicep exercises (curls). However, I think I need to invest in 10 lb weights for curls and rows, and bump my shoulder presses to 8 lb. I mostly did 10-12 reps, unless Tony insisted that I do 16. For all the non-weighted exercises (chair dips, side tri rise), I did 15 reps.

As for the Ab Ripper X, well, it didn't seem that bad when I tried it for fun on Sunday. But I get "Second Day Soreness", which means I'm feeling the effects of Core Synergistification from Monday. Sooooo...Ab Ripper X was ROUGH today. Lol, but I battled through it, and made a goal each time to do 20 of the 25 reps for each exercise. And luckily, no SuperMan Bananas on my poor hip bones.

I'll be fine for Cycle & Abs class tonight. My hamstrings and glutes are tender, but I've taught through worse. Cycling is actually a really a nice workout to do with sore muscles, since it's so low impact. And I'm am definitely going to teach some Ab Ripper X exercises in the abs portion of class.

No comments:

Post a Comment