Kelly takes on an intense fitness program at home with p90x.
Christina goes hard core at the gym with her personal trainer.
We're gunna BRING IT then and we're gunna BLOG IT.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Grocery List

Wondering what kinds of foods I can eat on South Beach? Well, it changes. The Diet consists of 3 phases:
  1. Phase I - Super Strict. Lean meats, vegetables, and low-fat dairy are permitted, but any carbohydrates and sugars are out of the question. So no bread, pasta, starchy veggies, or fruits. Cookies? Psh, fuh-get about it. Life is tough. Luckily, Phase I only lasts 2 weeks, although I'm aiming for 12 days.
  2. Phase II - We get some of the good stuff back. Natural sugars and complex carbohydrates are now OK, so we can eat fresh fruit and whole grains.
  3. Phase III - This is the life phase. Pretty much anything goes, so long as it doesn't undo everything you've worked for in the previous 2 phases.
Now to share my grocery list for Phase I. Recipes coming soon!

VEGGIES:
Celery
Cherry Tomatoes
Large tomatoes
Snap Peas
Red & Green Bell Peppers
Poblano Peppers
Anaheim Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Romaine
Scallions
Jicama
Ginger
Garlic
Basil
Cilantro
Cannellini Beans
Frozen Artichoke Hearts
Frozen Spinach

MEAT
Canadian Bacon
Turkey Deli Meat
Flank Steak
Split Chicken Breasts

DAIRY:
Cheddar - low fat
Colby - low fat
Muenster slices
Blue cheese - low fat, crumbled
Ricotta - low fat
Cottage Cheese - nonfat
Greek yogurt - nonfat plain
string cheese - part skim
Laughing Cow Light Cheese Spread
Skim Milk
Eggs
Egg Beaters (egg substitute)

MISC
Water Chestnuts
Peanuts
Pistachios
Chicken Broth (LOTS of it)

LIFE-SAVERS
Splenda
Sugar Free Jello
Fudgesicles - no sugar added
Sugar Free Soda (something with caffeine)
Diet Snapple Peach Tea (OMG, can't live without it)
Crystal Light
Sugar Free Gum

4 comments:

  1. Oh can't wait for the recipes! This seems rather doable, though giving up my pasta/pizza/cookies/sandwiches/fruit sounds miserable. I'm definitely intrigued. What about cooking things like oils or sprays or vinegar, etc)? How about seafood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oils and unsaturated fats are actually encouraged, because they slow the digestion process. I try to eat an oil of some kind with every meal - like cooking chicken in olive oil, or having a few walnuts on my salad.
    Seafood is also good. Pretty much any lean meat is golden.
    As for the loss of carbs and cookies - you really only feel the hurt for the first 3-5 days. Eventually your body forgets and you stop craving them. I get bad, burning desires for cookies and sweets around 9pm every night, but by the end of week one it'll be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet. I'll definitely see if I can try...and excited to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend reading the book first - it's really only about 50 pages of reading, and the rest is all recipes.
    http://www.amazon.com/South-Beach-Diet-Delicious-Doctor-Designed/dp/031231521X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313006904&sr=8-2
    Or I can lend you my copy when I'm done with Phase I. :)

    ReplyDelete